Thursday, March 13, 2014

DIY Time Out Vintage-Style Stool

Is it terrible that I made this chair before my son was able to crawl? Not to worry - it wasn't because I couldn't wait to punish him through toddlerhood. I thought of making a designated chair while babysitting my nephew in our new house and couldn't establish a good spot for him to "collect his emotions" or "think about his behavior". He's come a long way now that he's nearly 4 years old, but I think his first combined sentence was, "TWO MINUTES!!" -- which was what we said to warm him he was skating on thin ice. But I digress.  

I created this chair in one evening using vintage style clocks cut from scrapbook paper. Another suggestion would be to find free graphics online to match your personal style or decor (for example, these). I used a Cricut to cut the lettering, however, pre-cut alphabets are available at any craft store. You can also simply print letters and phrases using Word on your home printer. Try printing on colored or smooth cardstock to create a higher-end look. This project is perfect for the beginner crafter with limited experience, and it would make a unique and affordable baby-shower gift!


Supply List

  • unfinished wood chair or stool suitable for a toddler (Michaels, Joann Fabrics $15)
  • wood stain (Minwax Dark Walnut)
  • old rags for staining
  • Mod Podge- matte
  • paper graphics 
  • lettering (pre-cut stickers, printouts, Cricut, etc.)